Chocolate Tart Crust
500g Bakels Gluten Free Chocolate Cake Baking Mix
1 Whole Egg
3 Eggs Yolks
20g Butter - Room Temperature
680g Jar of Cherries in Syrup
Dark Chocolate Mousse Filling
150g Dark Chocolate
3 Eggs, Yolks and White Separated
60g Caster Sugar
1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1 Tablespoon Icing Sugar
Chocolate Tart Crust
- Mix together all of the crust ingredients in a large bowl.
- Once combined, turn dough out onto a clean and floured surface and knead until smooth and malleable.
- Divide the dough into 2 even balls, wrap in cling-wrap and place in the fridge to chill for 15-20 minutes.
- While dough is chilling, preheat oven to 180°C bake and grease and line the base of a 26cm round tart or pie tin, then set aside.
- Remove one ball of dough from the fridge (reserving the second ball for your next tart creation) and again place onto a clean floured surface.
- Using a rolling pin, roll the dough out to approximately 4-5mm thick.
- Carefully wrap dough around rolling pin, lift up and lay overtop of prepared tart tin.
- Gently manoeuvre and press dough into the base of tin before trimming edges and pricking the bottom of the base with a fork.
- Bake for approximately 18-20 minutes, or until baked through and nicely coloured.
- Base may still be slightly soft to the touch, but will crisp up once cooled.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before filling.
- Pour the cherries and syrup into a saucepan and simmer for 5-10 minutes, or until cherries have softened and syrup reduces.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool completely.
- Slowly melt the chocolate and butter together in a bowl above a pot of simmering water, making sure the base of the bowl doesn’t touch the water.
- Remove the chocolate mix from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Beat the egg yolks with 40g of caster sugar for a few minutes until pale, using a hand-held beater.
- Fold the yolk mixture through the warm chocolate mix, then set aside.
- In another bowl, beat the egg whites and remaining 20g of caster sugar until soft peaks form.
- Gently fold ⅓ of the egg white mixture through the chocolate mixture, below gently folding through the remaining ⅔ of the mixture.
- Fill prepare tart crust and chill in the fridge for 4 hours or overnight.
Whipped Cream Topping
- Before serving, make the whipped cream by beating together the cream, icing sugar and vanilla extract until soft peaks form.
- Top the tart with a generous amount of whipped cream (reserving some for serving), before finishing off with lots of delicious cherry compote.
- Slice, serve, and enjoy!
© Recipe created for Bakels by @bakergatherer